Child nurturing is considered to be one of the most essential, yet challenging, task of human societies all over the world. Schooling is regarded a significant in the development of a child and thus schools have a responsibility to foster the child’s development. Apart from academic activities, there are many physical activities which focus on developing the character of the child and his/her resilience. Rock Climbing presents challenges – taking on and meeting such challenges aids the development of children’s skills and character.
Rock climbing is steadily becoming a popular sport for schools throughout Australia. It comprises climbing of man-made rock walls or natural rock faces. With either of the choices, the students will be subjected to an elating experience mentally and physically. This physical activity not only builds on the students’ strength and endurance, but also ensures develops balance and determination. When this sport is an outdoor experience, for example at school camps, the students become involved in their surrounding from a new perspective. On this course, the students will learn the choice and use of the latest in modern apparel and rock climbing equipment. They should be in closely supervised by instructors who accompany them on a special selection of graduated climbs. The various physical challenges should be suited to the abilities of the student.
Physical benefits of Rock climbing
- Stronger arms and shoulders – arms become stronger the more the students climb because the arms are used to traverse the climbing face or wall. Rock climbing will also boost the students’ grip strength as they develop nicely toned shoulders.
- Stronger back and neck – students develop stronger muscle groups around their backs and necks because whilst climbing, they will always be looking around, up and down as they climb. The back is also worked due to the straining nature of the sport.
- Cardio benefits – rock climbing is a low impact cardio exercise, the students’ breathing and heart rate will be improved, as well as their overall stamina.
Emotional benefits of rock climbing
Rock climbing is a full body workout exercise that will not only have an impact on school students’ physical abilities, but also will improve on their cognitive abilities, problem solving techniques, and boost on their confidence. Below are some of the psychological benefits of rock climbing:-
- Stress relief – rock climbing will ensure that the students are focused on what they are doing at the moment and not worry over anything else that is not related to the physical activity.
- Perseverance – the students learn the skill of perseverance because they are subjected to the constant strain to get to the zenith of the physical activity.
- Setting of goals – rock climbing ensures that the students set goals and move towards them. This is an essential character trait in the life of each student
- Confidence – Rock climbing ensures that the subjected students get to improve on their confidence which is a desirable trait in the public speaking, job interviews, and dealing with conflict.
Rock Climbing is one of many physical activities which contributes to physical and emotional development, when undertaken on a regular basis. It is a potentially dangerous activity. Students must also be closely supervised use appropriate equipment. It is important that the credentials of the Instructor be validated by a school staff member.